Friday, March 13, 2009

Red Velvet Cupcakes w/Cream Cheese Frosting

Cupcakes. One of the single greatest creations on earth. Seriously, people it's up there with the wheel and fire. I mean, it's like a little perfectly sized cake made just for you! I dare you to find a person who doesn't love cupcakes. It isn't possible.

And just when I thought I couldn't love cupcakes anymore I discovered red velvet cupcakes. Heaven! And this recipe is definitely the one to try. I have never in my life attempted red velvet anything but this was so easy. And so good! They were moist and the perfect shade of red. Mr. ShoeFanatic asked me if I could double the recipe next time since these seemed to disappear so quickly. Bad Coco.



Ingredients:
2 1/2 c cake flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 t baking soda
1 T cocoa powder
1 t salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c buttermilk
2 T (1 oz) red food coloring
1 t vanilla extract
1 t white distilled vinegar

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Beat eggs, oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. Add dry ingredients (slowly!) and beat until smooth. About 2 minutes.

Pour into cupcake papers placed in a muffin tin. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating halfway through or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:
12 oz cream cheese, softened
12 oz butter, softened
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
3 c confectioners sugar

Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Add sugar and beat until frosting is light and fluffy. About 10 minutes.

The actual recipe is for a red velvet cake and this frosting ratio reflects that. I had more than half leftover so when making these again (which shall be very, very soon) I would definitely cut this recipe in half.


Verdict:
I am literally salivating as I am typing this. I am so making these again tomorrow.

Sources:
The Way the Cookie Crumbles -- she does an excellent cupcake comparison here
Apple A Day (the original recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment