Monday, June 8, 2009

Crawfish Etouffee

Let me apologize now.

This is going to be a pictureless post.

I should have taken a picture when we served it but I forgot. Then I reheated and honestly, it didn't look like something that screamed, "Cook me!" It's still fantastic but just didn't look it.

INGREDIENTS:
Olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, diced
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 lb crawfish tails
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Water
Seasoning (salt, pepper, paprika)

Over medium heat, saute your onion in the olive oil until just barely opaque. Throw in the garlic and bell pepper and let saute until they are all soft and translucent.

Add crawfish tails and stir while it cooks for a few more minutes. Add in cream of mushroom soup and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Add water if it's too thick (which it probably will be). Season to taste.

Continue simmering and stirring and seasoning until you have desired consistency and taste. Serve over hot rice.

VERDICT:
Crawfish Etouffee is truly a staple in every cajun household and ours is no exception. Normally, I would start this off with an entire stick of butter but being as I value our arteries, I like to play around with healthier ways to cook it. Honestly, I think it tastes the same without the butter (although some might disagree).

You can also substitute the crawfish with shrimp.

Bottom Line: You should definitely make this even though I have nothing to visually entice you!

SERVED WITH:
Canned Corn (whole kernal)

SOURCE:
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment