Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Grilled Chicken Sandwich


I can honestly say I never thought I would be blogging about a sandwich. I mean, I like sandwiches but I wouldn't call them blog-worthy.

Until I met this sandwich. (I bet you're wondering why there's only half a sandwich in the picture. Keep reading.)

It all started with the bread. Oh, the bread. It's all I can think about. So I was sitting at work today thinking about how I didn't really want Lettuce Wraps like I said I did on Monday (don't judge; I've admitted to straying before). I wanted that bread. With chicken. Mr. ShoeFanatic's juicy grilled chicken. Oh yeah.

Then I remembered I had an avocado. This was coming together very nicely in my head. I also remembered seeing a sandwich on Pioneer Woman's blog that had intrigued me. So I headed there for further inspiration.

And boy was I inspired...

INGREDIENTS:
2 chicken breasts
Rub (below)
4 slices Sandwich Bread
Cream cheese (~1/2 cup)
Green onions, diced
2 slices cheese (we used provolone)
Cucumber, sliced (I like mine with the peeling still on)
Tomato, sliced
Lettuce, washed and torn
Roasted Red Peppers (jarred or fresh) or Avocado (I left this out)

RUB:
Salt
Black Pepper
Olive Oil
Rosemary

Season chicken with rub ingredients to your liking. Grill until cooked through. Set aside while you make the rest of the sandwich.

OR while your husband is grilling...Mix together your cream cheese and green onions with a fork. Spread on one side of each slice of bread.

Layer your cucumbers, tomatoes & lettuce on one slice. Layer your roasted red peppers (or avocado), chicken and a slice of cheese on the other slice. Put the chicken side on top of the veggie side.

Cut in half and enjoy.

VERDICT:
This was seriously one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. It turns out that I did not have an avocado so I used roasted red peppers instead. I am sure the avocado would be awesome though.

I have to say that I am so in love with thise cream cheese/onion mixture. I used low fat cream cheese so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be my new mayo. Hmm...

AND the tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions were all grown in our garden! So fresh!

I was so excited about my sandwich that I started eating it before I took a picture. And the whole time I'm eating all I can think about is how I couldn't wait to blog about it! Then I realized I had no pic so I had to stop eating long enough to take one of the other half. Before I engulfed it of course.

I can't wait to have this for lunch tomorrow!

SERVED WITH:
Cucumber & Tomato salad

SOURCE:
Pioneer Woman
Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment