Sunday, March 22, 2009

French Toast

On Friday, Mr. ShoeFanatic called to rave about the breakfast that his co-worker had brought for everyone. As much as I adore said co-worker, I felt I needed to remind my dear husband who is the true queen of the kitchen! So this morning, I dragged my sleepy self out of bed to make French Toast before Mr. ShoeFanatic had to leave for work.



Ingredients:
6 T half & half
4 eggs
15 T milk
3/4 t vanilla
3/8 t cinnamon
3/8 t salt
Butter
1 1/2 stale French baguettes, sliced

Combine first six ingredients in a dish or bowl. (I did this step the night before and just stuck it in the fridge.) Take your slices (about 4-6 at a time and let them soak in the batter mixture.

Spray a skillet with nonstick spray and put a pat of butter in the center (yes, it is probably unnecessary to do both but I hate when things stick). Cook your bread slices in the pan for about 2-3 minutes per side. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with syrup or whatever topping you like.

Verdict:
Um, how do I put this. They were good. Really! The mixture was AWESOME. The bread was not. That baguette was a serious pain in the arse to cut and I didn't like how it didn't cook all the way through. But seriously, this mixture is amazing! Next time, I would probably make this with either regular bread or try it with bagels like the original recipe did.

And as always, I messed with the ingredients. I felt like just 1 T of half and half with 2 eggs was too egg-y. I had just a tad bit of milk left in a gallon so I just used the rest of that. But it was skim milk so it was too thin. So I added more half and half. Then I felt like I needed to add more vanilla, cinnamon and salt. It's a never ending process. But it was very good.

Source:
Amber's Delectable Delights

No comments:

Post a Comment