Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lasagna Rolls

Lasagna is my signature dish. EVERYONE loves my lasagna. It was the first dish I ever cooked for Mr. ShoeFanatic and to this day, he swears it would be his last meal. He's a smart man. So, I saw this recipe and thought the concept was phenomenal. An easier lasagna than my own? I'm in.

I should probably add that I made way too much. Like seriously, take my recipe and cut it in half. I knew I was making a lot but I usually do that so we have stuff for lunch. This was A LOT. Proceed.




Ingredients:
11 lasagna noodles (I could have used more but I ran out and ended up stuffing 6 shells to use the rest of the filling)
2 lbs ground chuck
1/2 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 lg tub cottage cheese
1 bag shredded Italian Cheese blend
1 box frozen spinach, cooked
1 egg
Seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil)
1 jar pasta sauce

Preheat the oven to 350.

Boil your noodles in a large pot. Brown your beef, onion, garlic and equal amounts of each seasoning in a large dutch oven until the beef is cooked entirely. While that is cooking, boil your noodles and start preparing your filling.

In a medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, 1/2 bag of cheese, spinach and egg. Mix thoroughly.

Spray the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Put a layer of pasta sauce on the bottom.

When your noodles are cooked, drain them and then lay them out on a flat surface (I used a cutting board but a sheet pan would work too).

When your meat mixture is cooked completely, stir it into the filling mixture. You can let it cool down for a couple minutes if you'd like; it's going to be hot! Mix thoroughly.

Put a spoonful of filling and spread on each lasagna noodle. If you do it too thick, it's not going to fold well so try not to put too much. When the entire noodle has a layer of filling, roll it up and place it seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat for each noodle.

Once all the noodles are filled and folded, pour the rest of the pasta sauce on top and put the other bag of cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes uncover and cook for another 10 minutes or so; until the cheese and melted and is slightly brown and bubbly.

Enjoy!

Verdict:
Oh Em Gee. These were amazing. I was a little bit leary because of the spinach (not a regular lasgana ingredient) but they were sooooo good. You couldn't even tell the spinach was in there! This is definitely one of those Deceptively Delicious meals. Mr. ShoeFanatic even said that it might be better than my original lasagna. (Watch it, buddy.) The whole dish was divine and it was super easy to serve. I think this would be a great dish to send to someone else because I bet it would freeze and reheat well. Regardless, you should stop reading and go make this. Now.

Served With:
Fresh Green Beans
Cantaloupe
Spinach Salad

Source:
Erica's Kitchen Adventure
Amber's Delectable Delights

No comments:

Post a Comment