Monday, March 23, 2009

Roasted Red Pepper Orzo

I have been wanting to try an orzo pasta dish. So I did my thing where I find several recipes and then make them my own. I love roasted red pepper and this is really easy. I will definitely make this again!




Ingredients:
2 T butter
½ onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 c orzo pasta
2 c chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste
½ c grated parmesan cheese
1 roasted red pepper

In a medium saucepan, melt your butter and sauté the onions and garlic, about 10 minutes. Add the orzo and coat well. Pour in your chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. When you have a decent boil going, lower the fire to low, cover and let cook for 15 minutes. I should add here that I have a crappy stove so I kept checking it but you really shouldn’t do that.

Here’s something else you shouldn’t do. If you happen to be cooking Spinach Salad Dressing at the same time you should definitely pay attention to what you are doing! I do not care how enthralling your conversation with your husband is! Do not pour ¼ c apple cider vinegar into the orzo! It will ruin it and you will have to start over! Don’t ask me how I know this.

Anyway...

While your pasta is cooking, roast your red pepper. We did ours on the grill but if you are lucky enough to have a gas stove, you can do it there too. Roast it until the skin is black. Place in either a Tupperware container or glass bowl and cover to let it sweat; about 20 minutes. Then just deseed and chop it like you normally would. I should also add here that Mr. ShoeFanatic did not cook this as much as he should have. Apparently, we were both having an off night.

Ok, once your timer goes off, check on the pasta. If it’s too liquidy still, turn the heat up to boil some of the broth off. But stand there and stir and watch it while you do that so it doesn’t burn the bottom (I have a complex about that). If the pasta isn’t cooked enough, add a little more chicken broth and let it cook longer.

Once you are happy with the consistency, season with salt & pepper to your tasting. Stir in your cheese and red pepper and enjoy!

Verdict:
I really like this! I think if Mr. ShoeFanatic had cooked the pepper like he was supposed to it would have been better but other than that, it was really good. I really liked the cheesiness of it.

Source:
Le Petit Pierogi
Mary Ellen’s Cooking Creations

No comments:

Post a Comment