Sunday, April 5, 2009

Chicken Fajitas




I swear some days I think we are part Mexican since we have Mexican food at least once a week. I L-O-V-E love these fajitas. Mr. ShoeFanatic cooks the veggies in a cast iron pan on the grill and they are just a little crunchy. And then they make their own juice that is so freaking good...I'm salivating as I type this.

You should make this tonight.

Stop reading and go to the store.

Now!

Ingredients:
4-6 chicken breasts
Seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, kosher salt)
tortillas
4-6 bell peppers, sliced into strips
1-3 onions, sliced into strips
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
shredded cheese
sour cream (optional)

Chicken:
Season chicken with first 5 seasoning ingredients. Grill on each side for approximately 7 minutes or until it is cooked all the way through. When it is done, sliced it into thin strips.

Veggies:
Put your bell peppers, onions and mushrooms in a cast iron skillet on the grill. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Toss with tongs to make sure they are all seasoned.

Cook veggies for 15-20 minutes or until they are at your desired doneness. We like ours with just a little bit of crunch to them.

Heat tortillas in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds between 2 damp paper towels.

To Assemble the Perfect Fajita the ShoeFanatic Way:
1. Take a tortilla and spread a thin layer of sour cream on it
2. Put a strip of chicken down the center
3. Put a strip of veggies down the center (I like a lot of veggies)
4. Sprinkle with cheese
5. Fold together
6. Inhale fajita and repeat as often as necessary.

Verdict:
Yep, these are still as good as I remember. The crunchy veggies are seriously the bomb dot come. There are really an infinite amount of possibilities with these. Squash, zucchini, carrots...the list goes on. And if that's not enough to convince you, they are super easy to make and clean up is a breeze.

Served With:
Margaritas
Mexican Rice (I am apparently losing my mind. I forgot to make this but I'm sure it would have been great.)

Source:
I guess Mr. ShoeFanatic but only because he has mastered those yummy peppers. Although if someone can tell me who actually invented fajitas, I will be mighty impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment