Monday, April 13, 2009

Mac & Cheese


Whoa. Sorry for the craptastic picture.

If I had to eat one food every single day for the rest of my life, I do believe it would be Mac & Cheese. It's the best food ever. I'm pretty faithful to the blue box but obviously I needed something a little fancier for holiday times. A good friend emailed me this recipe and I have to say, it is a winner.

The first time I made it, I baked it but I found that it dried it out too much. I like my mac & cheese creamy. So this time, I skipped the baking and just served it straight out of the pot. Yum-O.

Ingredients:
3 T butter
1/4 c flour
1 t salt
1/2 t ground mustard
1/4 t black pepper
2 1/2 c milk
8 oz Cheddar cheese, grated
4 oz Mozzarella cheese, grated
16 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 pkg pasta of your choice (we like shells)

Cook pasta according to directions.

In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth; take off heat*.

Little by little, stir in milk until smooth. Stir constantly for 10 minutes on heat until thick; take off heat*. Stir in all 3 cheeses until melted.

Just before serving, mix cooked macaroni with cheese mixture. Fold together until it is well mixed.

*My friend and I were discussing this whole "take off heat" debacle. We decided there are 2 ways one can interpret this: 1) leave pot on the stove and turn the burner off & 2) take the pot off the stove and leave the burner alone. I did option 2 and found it worked really well. I had a trivet sitting right next to the stove and I would just transfer the entire pot to the trivet, perform my step and then put it right back on the burner.

Verdict:
My 6 year old niece informed me that this was the best macaroni she had ever eaten in her entire life. I informed her that she was my favorite niece and made a mental note to get her something really good for Christmas.

In all seriousness, this really is the best macaroni you will ever have in your life. The one thing I would change is that I would like to find a substitute for the Velveeta. I just find you can (barely) taste a hint of processed cheese. But I didn't have time to do that much research on cheeses. I knew the Velveeta would melt well so I went for the tried and true version.

All in all, this was a hit for Easter!

Source:
Cooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment