Saturday, April 4, 2009

Tortellini, Spinach & Mushrooms with Asiago Cheese Sauce


Wow, that's a long title.

During Lent, the no meat on Fridays thing can be somewhat of an issue. If we're lucky, we get to eat boiled crawfish. But since that can get pricey, it doesn't happen every Friday. Our next option would normally be to cook seafood at home (shrimp, fish, etc.) but we were out this week.

Hmm...

It doesn't help that I married a "man's man" who thinks that if he doesn't have protein every single day, he might die. (enter eye-roll here)

I've been wanting to cook tortellini so even though it took a while, I finally convinced Mr. ShoeFanatic that it would be just as filling as....well, as pasta.

Ingredients:
1 pkg cheese tortellini
2 T butter
4 cloves of garlic, diced
1/2 sm onion, diced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
3 T flour (this is too much, only put 2 T max)
Dash of white wine*
2 c half & half (you can also use milk or cream)
Salt & pepper
2 c shredded cheese; I used Asiago & Parmesan
1 box frozen spinach, cooked

*Here's the general rule of cooking with wine. If you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it! Many bad meals have resulted from this. I too have bought the cheaper wine thinking that since it's being cooked in, it wouldn't make a difference. Not true!

Cook the tortellini as directed.

Melt your butter and saute the garlic, onions and mushrooms until soft. About 10 minutes; maybe more for the mushrooms. (Enter smell-o-net here because at this point my kitchen smelled heavenly!)

Add flour and stir well. Add the wine of your choice and stir. Pour in half & half and add spices. Let it come to a steady simmer.

Add cheese and stir so the cheese is melted and thoroughly mixed in. I also tasted at this point to make sure the sauce was how I wanted it.

Add spinach, stir. Then add in tortellini and fold gently so it doesn't break apart the noodles but it's coated in the sauce.

Enjoy!

Verdict:
Yummy, yummy, yummy! This was so good! You really must try this. It wasn't as creamy as I wanted it to be but I think that's because I was being impatient and added too much flour (patience is not my strongest suit). I would definitely only add 2 T of flour next time. This recipe has so much potential to add chicken, different veggies, different cheeses. It is very rich and I think Mr. ShoeFanatic said something about it making a good side dish but I was too busy stuffing my face to even notice he was talking.

Yes, we will definitely be making this again.

Served With:
Asparagus (I actually forgot to cook the asparagus but it would be an excellent side to this)

Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment