Tuesday, May 19, 2009

BBQ Chicken Quesadillas


When I saw this recipe pop up on my Google Reader (aka the best thing ever) last week, I knew I had to try it. We love all things Mexican related in this household!

I did not have Vidalia onions in the house so I used yellow. It was still really good but I definitely can imagine that it would have been that much better with the Vidalia's. Mr. ShoeFanatic also created a rub/marinade for the chicken. He's badass like that.

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 vidalia onions (I used 1 large and 1 small yellow onion)
2 T olive oil
2 T honey
4 chicken breasts, cubed
Marinade (below)
1/2 c BBQ sauce (we used KC Masterpiece Honey)
6 ten inch tortillas
Shredded Mexican cheese blend
Sour cream

MARINADE INGREDIENTS:
1/2 T Salt
10 grinds black pepper
1/2 T garlic powder
1/2 T onion powder
1 t red pepper
1/2 T smoked paprika
1 T Brown sugar
2 T apple cider vinegar
5 dashes hickory liquid smoke

Mix together rub ingredients. Coat chicken well and set aside.

Slice your onions into rings and in a large skillet, cook rings in 1 T of the olive oil over med-high heat until they start to turn golden brown. Turn the heat down to medium and caramelize for about 20 more minutes. Add in the honey about 5 minutes before they are done. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add the other T of olive oil back to the skillet and add the chicken. Cook the chicken on medium heat for approximately 7 minutes and then stir in the BBQ sauce. Let simmer for another 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat when done.

Assemble tortillas with chicken, onions and cheese. Grill in a nonstick skillet on each side until cheese is melted and tortilla is golden.

Serve with sour cream.

VERDICT:
This was fantastic. If you even remotely like BBQ chicken pizza, you will love this. And I will be honest, I was very leery about the onions in this dish but between the caramelization and the honey...they were so sweet and no onion-ey flavor at all!

Mr. ShoeFanatic gave this 2 thumbs way up and begged me to cook it again!

SOURCE:
Cooking This and That

2 comments:

  1. Weren't these SO delicious?! Glad you tried them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were amazing! If I can make these, anyone can.

    ReplyDelete