Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Homemade Brownies



I found Elizabeth's blog a couple weeks ago and was instantly enthralled. She's a South Louisiana girl (like me!) and most of her recipes have a bit of authentic Cajun/Creole flair which is hard to find in the blogger world! This recipe is not Creole or Cajun but it does have one of my favorite ingredients. Chocolate!

I starred it in my Reader the moment I saw it and since we were having leftover Chicken Enchiladas, I took advantage of not having to cook and baked instead!

INGREDIENTS:
1 c sugar
2/3 c butter or margarine
1/4 c water
24 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (approximately 4 c)
1 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 c AP flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
4 eggs
1 c nuts (optional) (I left this out)

Preheat oven to 325.

Heat first 3 ingredients over high heat until sugar is completely melted. Add 2 c chocolate chips and vanilla. Whisk until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.

It will smell really, really good but resist the urge to lick your whisk. It's really hot!

Meanwhile...

Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. When chocolate mixture is cool, add to flour mixture. Stir until well blended. Add in eggs and nuts (if using) and stir until well mixed.

Pour batter in a 9x13 dish and bake for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle remaining 2 c of chocolate evenly over warm brownies and let stand for 5 minutes to soften. Spread melting morsels over the top to cover the brownies.

VERDICT:
Whoa. I had no doubt these would be good but I didn't realize they would be so addicting! I seriously can't stop eating them.

Someone take the pan away from me please. And grab a glass of cold milk on your way out. You're in for a treat!

SOURCE:

No comments:

Post a Comment