Sunday, July 5, 2009

Broccoli & Cheese Soup


I've had this recipe bookmarked for a while and finally got around to making it this afternoon. I changed a few things from the original. Left out the potato, added all the butter in the beginning and doubled the broccoli and cheese. I think that's all I changed.

Everyone should stay tuned for Menu Monday tomorrow morning because I have a huge surprise to share!

INGREDIENTS:
5 T butter
1/4 onion diced
Salt
Black pepper
Nutmeg
1 T minced garlic
3 T of flour
4 c chicken broth
2 c frozen broccoli
1 c heavy cream
4 c colby jack cheese, shredded

In dutch oven melt butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and a pinch (or two) of the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until soft; add garlic.

Stir frequently while garlic cooks. Add the flour and stir until thoroughly mixed together. Slowly add the chicken broth while whisking constantly. Add broccoli and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened; about 20 minutes.
Mix in cream and bring to a low simmer. Add cheese and simmer until cheese is melted. Stir until it is mixed throughly.

Serve hot.

VERDICT:
This was good. Not great but good. I felt like the consistency wasn't quite where I wanted it to be but that could be because I didn't follow the recipe exactly.

I would make this again but I would definitely make some changes to better suit our tastes.

SOURCE:

No comments:

Post a Comment