Friday, November 20, 2009

Honey Yeast Rolls



This recipe has been sitting in my Reader for months. And every so often I stare longingly at it. It was just begging to be made in my kitchen. Begging, I tell you!

So when it was decided that Mr.Shoe and I would be hosting Thanksgiving at our house, I literally jumped at the chance to make these rolls. But of course I had to do a trial run before the big day!

INGREDIENTS:
2 1/4 t instant yeast
1 c warm water (105-115 F)
1/4 c honey
3 T canola oil (I used vegetable)
1 1/4 t salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 c bread flour
Cooking spray
1 T butter, melted
1 T honey

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the yeast and warm water. Add the honey, oil, salt and egg. Mix well. Add 3 cups of the flour and mix until the dough comes together in a sticky mass. With the mixer on low speed, add the remaining 1 cup flour and mix until it is incorporated into the dough. Switch to the dough hook, and continue kneading on low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.

Form the dough into a ball and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free spot until it doubles in bulk, about 2 hours.

After the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 30 seconds. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Punch the dough down and divide into 12 equal portions. Shape each portion into a smooth ball and place into a lightly greased baking dish, spacing evenly (I find a 9x13 dish works best). Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 20 minutes.

Mix together the melted butter and honey. You have a couple options here.

1) Brush the butter/honey mixture over the rolls before baking
2) Brush the butter/honey mixture over the rolls 5 minutes into baking. And then again when it comes out of the oven.
3) Brush the butter/honey mixture over the rolls after they are done baking.

I have done both 1 & 2 and personally, prefer 2. But that's just me.

Whatever you decide to do, bake for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Mine are perfect at 17 minutes. Serve warm.

VERDICT:
I love these. Love, love, love! I mean, what's not to love? They're sweet, doughy and carbtastic. The dough is very dense and a tad bit harder to work with than other doughs that I've worked with but totally worth it.

That being said...

Mr. Shoe is not a fan. He does not like the denseness or the doughiness of the rolls. I was hoping to serve these for Thanksgiving but after making them twice and getting the same reaction each time, I think I need to move on to a lighter recipe.

But rest assured, these fabulous carb creations have not seen the last of my kitchen. If you are reading this and intrigued, please make them. Please? And we'll just hope that your significant other is more open minded about carbs than mine.

SOURCE:
Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment