Monday, September 21, 2009

Homemade Cool Whip


Yes, you read that right. I said HOMEMADE Cool Whip. Or Whipped Cream Topping. Or whatever you want to call it. I needed some cool whip for the banana pudding I was making and have read more than once that Cool Whip is super duper easy to make at home and that it tastes a million times better than the store bought stuff. I figured the worst thing that could happen is mine would suck and I'd have to go back to the store for the processed stuff.

INGREDIENTS:
1 c heavy cream
1/4 c sugar
1 t vanilla extract

Whip cream (preferably in a stand mixer) until it becomes somewhat stiff. This took about 5 minutes on speed 6 with my KitchenAid mixer.

Add in sugar and vanilla and continue mixing until the cream becomes thick and holds a peak.

Refrigerate what you don't use.

This yields approximately 10-12 ounces.


(This was the best shot I could get.)

VERDICT:
Ok, never again will I spend $2.67 on Cool Whip. This was amazing! And how much easier can it get?

Mr. Shoe suggested using a chilled bowl to mix it in which is probably a good idea. When I was making my banana pudding, this sat on the counter for a few minutes and I found that it was wanting to lose it's stiffness. So the chilled bowl probably would have helped that.

Regardless, it was great and I am so glad I tried it!

SOURCE:
Diana's Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment