Sunday, March 22, 2009

Asian Porkchops

Here is how we figure out what we are cooking at the ShoeFanatic household. We go to Sam's. We see what's on sale. We buy enough to last a month. I figure out recipes around that particular meat. Easy enough.

Last week...pork. Awesome. I like pork. As a matter of fact, when I was a kid my favorite meal in the whole world was my mom's porkchops. They were bone suckin' good. I mean, I had never cooked pork chops before but it can't be that hard. I figured out that Beef Stroganoff business just fine! Pork chops it was.

Lord, help me.




Ingredients:
Salt & pepper
4-6 pork chops

Marinade:
2/3 c soy sauce
1/3 c firmly packed brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 t ground ginger
A couple squirts of ketchup
About 1/2 c orange juice
A couple shakes of Lea & Perrins

Combine the marinade ingredients in a small saucepan. Simmer over low-med heat until it starts to thicken. Once it's at the consistency and taste that you like, remove from heat and let cool completely.

Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Place in a container that has a tight fitting lid or a large ziploc bag. Pour the completely cooled marinade over the pork chops. Let sit at least 6 hours or overnight.

Grill for approximately 7 minutes. The thicker your pork chops are, the longer they need to grill.

Verdict:
Terrible. Don't do it. Geez, where do I start...Ok, for starters, the chops were dry. I hate dry meat. HATE IT. This is why I never cook pork. This is also why after this meal, I swore to Mr. ShoeFanatic that I would never cook pork again. Mr. ShoeFanatic thinks that he cooked them too long which is why they were dry. He could be right. He also said that if we're going to grill chops, they need to be thicker. I suppose it's possible.

The marinade was ok. Not fabulous by any means. It was just ok. We decided that it had too much soy sauce and needed fruit to provide some balance. However, we didn't have fruit and had to resort to orange juice. ::sigh:: I readily admit that I completely strayed from the 2 recipes that I found and that was obviously a bad idea. All in all, I think this could be a decent dish. Not that I'll be trying it again any time soon.

Served With:
Roasted Red Pepper Orzo Pasta
Spinach Salad

Source:
Annie's Eats
Cooking This and That

No comments:

Post a Comment